FAQs/what to expect
Lindsey Thorne is the owner and primary photographer of In My Boudoir. She is also a wedding photographer. Her boudoir studio is located in South Austin, Texas. With enough notice, she will travel to Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Georgetown, Round Top, Dripping Springs and many other parts of Texas for a small fee. You can follow her latest work on her Blog, Instagram and Facebook, where she (tries to) post every day.
"Half the time you will find me on the floor, modeling poses for my clients... #typical" - Lindsey
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where do you shoot?
- I shoot most of my boudoir sessions in my home studio in Austin, Texas. It's a spacious, clean house with amazing window light and an intimate, non-studio feel. If you'd prefer to have your shoot done in your home, an Airbnb or a downtown Austin hotel like the W or Radisson, that's great too. I do not provide lingerie (because I think that's icky) or props, but if you'd like to bring props (this can range from his bow-tie to her motorcycle) please let me know and I'll happily incorporate it into your shoot. I will travel to Houston, Dallas or other Texas locations for $150, which covers gas and a hotel room for the shoot. However, I will waive the travel fee if you and a friend in your city book at the same time. I shoot approximately 30 minutes per outfit. ***BEFORE YOU ARRIVE TO MY STUDIO, please wear something loose that will not leave red marks on your skin on your drive over. I have a robe you can use during hair and makeup, or you're welcome to bring your own.
Do I receive all the images taken during the shoot?
- I will select the best images from your session, typically 30 images per outfit, and show those to you at your post shoot, in-person photo reveal in my studio space. These will also be included in your viewable online gallery so you can view them privately. This can be done via Skype or Facetime if you are an out of town client. You can then select how many images you'd like to keep. If you purchase an album, you will receive any images included in the design at no charge.
Is retouching included?
- Yes. Skin, color and exposure are retouched to be flawless yet still natural. I always retouch out bruises, blemishes, mosquito bites, cat scratches, shaving cuts, etc.. If you want a second round of retouching there is an additional charge. Every image that goes into the book, that you've purchased the print release to, that goes onto my blog, or goes to print gets retouched. Bonus* you will get to see both color and black-and-white versions of each image.
How much experience do you have shooting boudoir?
- I've had an interest in photographing women since I started at age 16, and I'm now 32. I've shot women's portraits, fashion editorial, fashion bridal, beauty, couples portraits, couples boudoir, family, weddings, engagements, and as of September 2016, 350 boudoir sessions. What differentiates me from other boudoir photographers is my experience in posing and retouching. No matter who you are, how you're shaped or what you're wearing, I'll not only pose you well but do it very quickly. I focus entirely on the woman, her curves, the traits that make her unique, the parts of her body she loves the most. No cheesy furtiture. No fake sexy faces. The most common statement I hear about my photography is that the subject always looks beautiful and natural.
I've never been photographed before. I have no idea how to pose myself. This is scary and I don't know what I'm doing. Will you help me?
- Of course! It is my job to pose and direct you the entire way through. This means I will tell you how to hold your head, where to look, whether or not to smile, when to lift your chin, where to put your hands, your arms, your legs, your feet, when to take off your shoes, when to put your shoes back on, when to stand, when to lie down... I will literally tell you when to breath. Hilariously, I am not kidding about that last one. It is my job to get gorgeous, natural smiles out of you. It is my job to make you feel and look sexy. Don't spend a second worrying about coming up with posing or expressions yourself. Side note* I will pose you according to your body, how it looks best in what you are wearing, and what is the most flattering for you. There is no comparing you to anyone else, you are an individual and I will photograph you as such. This is how you will get the best photos out of me, and also enjoy the experience the most. Choose your outfits based on what makes you feel amazing, and let me do the rest.
When should I book my session and what is your availability like?
- I shoot boudoir during the week ONLY. There are no exceptions. The turn around time for my boudoir sessions is approximately 5 weeks, including product delivery. If you need a quicker turn around time (2 weeks or less) I can do so for an additional charge of $100. This covers delivery of your session no later than 4 days after your shoot and overnight shipping of the book.
What should I wear?
- Outfits can range from oversized sweaters, bra + undies, boyshorts, leather jackets, blazers, thigh high boots, fringe vests, rompers, strappy tank tops, literally anything see through or lace, cheekys, thongs, fishnets, mini dresses, fashion bathing suits, etc. I recommend Naja, Teddies for Bettys, Forever 21, Fredericks of Hollywood, Charm School Vintage, ModCloth, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, Goodwill (vintage finds), Yandy, Victoria's Secret and Devil in Disguise. PLEASE CONSIDER BUYING A SIZE UP ON BOTTOMS! It's never a bad thing to bring a unique piece of clothing or jewelry either. *TIP: When buying thigh high tights for your photo shoot, please consider selecting at least one size bigger than your actual size. Thigh highs almost always run small and short, and will pinch your thighs (because duh, women have thighs). Ladies size 10+, consider plus size tights! First and foremost, they are made LONGER (longer is key) and will sit on your thigh more comfortably. Less thigh squeeze = more flattering photos (trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience).
How should I do my hair and make up?
- The easier your hair is to work with, the better. Down, straightened, curled or wavy and not too hair sprayed work best. For make up: it disappears in photos! More makeup is ALWAYS better for photo shoots, even if you are a 'natural' makeup kind of woman. Please don't underestimate the camera and my lighting. I can provide you a professional and talented boudoir hair and makeup artist who will come to my studio for $150. I work with a few amazing artists who have 15+ years experience, and they know exactly how to quickly doll you up for a boudoir photography session. Or, if you're on a budget, you can make an appointment at Blast Blow Dry. *Tip: If you are doing your makeup yourself, make sure your mascara covers all your lashes, and use a damp q-tip to clean up stray makeup. Please also make sure your foundation is your actual skin color and doesn't give the illusion of a 'floating head'. The best thing you can do for your skin before a shoot is don't drink alcohol, don't get a sunburn, moisturize frequently for a few days prior, and drink lots of water. **Professional spray tans (preferably nude) are preferred over tanning lotions or beds because it ends up more even and you don't get Jersey hands. But, if you do get a professional spray tan, go a couple days before your shoot so the orange tones down. To be clear, I don't think you need to get a tan before your shoot. I think fair skin is just as beautiful, so just be you!
What should I bring?
- I provide location, lighting, beverages, samples for you to look through, and music during your shoot. You should bring wardrobe, all jewelry you may wear, and lots of options for shoes. Just like the make up, MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER! Also, please let me know if you'd like some wine or bubbly to help relax you (and please don't hesitate to bring your own as well).
I have hired my own hair+makeup stylist, can I use your studio (or hotel room, for out of town clients) to get ready in before the shoot?
- No. With purchase of my stylist, you are not only paying for their services, but also for my additional time in the studio. Hair and makeup styling can take up to two hours, which is ample time for me to schedule another shoot. If you schedule your own stylist, you are responsible for the location of hair and makeup. There are no exceptions.
Do you photograph nudes?
- Yes, if you specifically request it, and only tastefully. I will override pose recommendations if they aren't elegant and/or tasteful.
- Only if you allow me to, and only shots you approve.
How do I submit payment and sign the contract?
- I will send you an electronic order form and contract that we will both sign online. Then I will email you the invoice for the deposit, which needs to be submitted via credit card online, and that's it!
"Boudoir sessions make a great gift, but ultimately, these photographs are not for someone else. These are for you. These are to help you decide to love yourself and love the way you look, NOW. Before going to the gym and losing that extra 20. I believe loving the way you look is a choice. I love what I do because I help women see themselves clearly, beautifully, and with pride. Women are amazing, and deserve to be celebrated.
Prior to the shoot, I consult with you via email on hair, makeup, wardrobe and location. During your session, I direct & pose you 100% of the time, all I ask is for you to trust me. This means I tell you what to do, from your head to your toes, for every pose. I received my BFA in photography from the Savannah College of Art & Design and photography is my full time job. I have over 9 years professional retouching experience, and I've photographed over 350 boudoir sessions.
I fell in love with photography when I was 16, and I've been shooting ever since. My first love was fashion photography, working with women has always come naturally to me. This is what I am meant to do. Shooting boudoir is my absolute favorite, mostly because I've worked with so many strong, real and awesome women. I am extremely laid back and I promise you will feel comfortable as soon as you walk in the door. I work out of my home, which I absolutely love because I know the light so well, and I can create a secure, intimate environment perfect for making you feel comfortable and bringing out your personality. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to work with me. And I promise, I will never ask you to give me your 'sexy-face'.
My main concern is creating images that are timeless, and above all else, posing you in ways that are elegant and tasteful. No awkward crotch shots, fake 'sexy' faces or lack of direction here. If this is a gift for someone, I guarantee they'll love it... but at the end of the day, this is all about you. Sessions begin at $200 with three outfits. Contact me for my full price list. Also, please take a moment to read the wonderful reviews my lovely clients have left me on yelp, I can't thank them enough. Looking forward to speaking with you!"